DesperatK is a duo hailing from Uppsala who have published their first songs this Autumn. It’s two songs that breathes post punk, new wave and synth pop, well there is strong vibe of the eighties from these two tracks. The two members call themselves August Silverman and Torgny Lagman. August was earlier a member of the band Light In Your Life and Torgny has appeared before under names such as Tactful Perfection or Triska. As the band info is rather sparse and there is a bit of mystique around the band I decided to ask August Silverman a few questions:
– Can you tell us something about the ideas behind the band?
– It started when me met and hung out together in Enköping in 2005, but the band in its present shape started out in 2010 when we were living together for a while. The idea is to make music that’s beautiful and that stands on its own legs, beyond our persons and beyond the degrading everyday life.
– The songs you have released so far have a certain vibe of the eighties, post punk and new wave. Is that something that inspires you or do you feel that you have your roots elsewhere?
– We have very different taste in music but of course the eighties dark punk and synth is something that lies close to our hearts. Otherwise I’m more of a rock and metal fan while Torgny has a fondness for techno and euro/trance. Those roots can of course be heard when we make songs.
– Where does the band name come from?
– From an old poem I wrote when I was about 15. It was rather melodramatic and contained the line: “my name is desperate master chef, and these are his knives”.
– Finally, what are your plans now?
– These two songs is a taste of a release in Spring, which will contain 4 or 5 songs, and some remix, and will be released on Spotify. We also hope that we will do our first live shows then – together with a band from Malmö called Solero.
– Thanks a lot for the chat August and best of luck in the future!